- Brinjals / eggplant / vankaya -10-12
- Raw peanuts -¾ cup
- Channadal – ¼ cup
- Dry coconut powder -1½ tsp
- Cunim seeds -1 tsp
- Coriander -1 tsp
- Red chilly -5
- Tamarind – small ball
- Oil – 3 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Dry the brinjals. Don’t remove the stems and slit them length- wise from bottom from both directions without breaking them.
- Heat 1tsp of oil in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds, coriander seeds, red chilies to golden brown color. Remove from flame and transfer into a plate.
- In the same pan dry roast peanuts, channadal, and dry coconut individually. Until they release their aromas, taking care not to burn them. Turn of the flame and let it cool completely.
- Once all the roasted ingredients have cooled down, grind red chilies, cumin, coriander, channadal, peanuts, dry coconut to that add salt tamarind pulp and grind into a smooth paste using water. Stuffing is ready.
- Take the brinjals stuff them with the stuffing paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and place the stuffed brinjals add salt mix well. They tend to splutter a lot so cover the pan and cook for 10 minutes until they soften. Rotate them evenly so that they cook evenly.
- After 10 minutes add the remaining masala paste and add one cup of water, mix well cover the lid. Let it cook on medium heat until brinjals are cooked and oil starts to separate from the masala and collect around the edges.
- Serve warm with rotis, pulao, and white rice.
We can cook bell peppers with the same masala.